Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Saturday, March 29, 2008

What is Patriotism?

By Shane Van Cleve

What is patriotism? Most people say, to fight for my country whether wrong or right. In other words, If my country supports right or wrong, I’ll still stand by it and fight for it.

Others say, “My government right or wrong, I’ll still fight for it.”

My definition: Dedication to principles on which my country was founded. We need to take a look at how our country was founded. Look on what it is founded on.

Mark Twain once said, “My kind of loyalty was loyalty to one’s country, not to his institutions, or its officeholders.”

America has long forgotten the true meaning of patriotism. They have forgotten the principles this country was founded on. We must remember that patriotism is dedication to the principles on which our country was founded upon.

No comments:

Blog Archive